Edited by:Release Time:2023/07/08
Shenzhen Technology University (SZTU) is a public institution of higher education established by Guangdong Province and Shenzhen Municipality with a sound beginning and high standards. Its establishment as a university of applied sciences was officially approved by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China on November 30, 2018 with identification code 4144014655. The establishment of SZTU is an important measure taken by Guangdong Province and Shenzhen Municipality to explore higher education of applied sciences above the undergraduate level in order to implement the Central Government's in-depth reform of the educational system and mechanisms.The campus is located in the Pingshan District of Shenzhen City, the first-stage floor area of which is about 970,000 m2.
Shenzhen Technology University [Photo/Party Affairs Committee Publicity Office]
SZTU aims to establish itself as an open and innovative international university with Chinese characteristic and global outlook. To meet the urgent demand from the advanced manufacturing industry locally and nationally, SZTU is obligated to cultivate quality applied talents with craftsman’s spirit such as engineers and designers with international view and innovation capacity.
By learning from experienced universities in applied sciences and technology, SZTU will implement a modern apprenticeship system in teaching. The university is geared to meet the demands of advanced manufacturing industry with the orientation of employment and entrepreneurship. It is based on enhancing the capacity of engineering, practice and innovation. SZTU will explore a new education mode of applied sciences by joining efforts between industries and universities, between production and teaching and also between practice and learning.
In terms of training for talents, SZTU is exploring a new mode of “university education +enterprise internship+engineering projects”. In accordance with the principle of producing talents in applied sciences with market orientation, SZTU will push the cooperation between industries and universities to a new level; put more focus on the assessment of practical capability and undergo small-sized teaching; promote the integration among teaching, learning and practical training; recruit students from diversified sources. SZTU will try to realize Five Connections: connection between specialty setup and industry needs, connection between curriculum setting and professional criteria, connection between teaching processing and production processing, connection between diploma and professional certificate, and connection between vocational education and lifelong study.
SZTU will recruit full-time and part-time teachers with excellent teaching qualification and rich practical experience, who will account for eighty percent of the whole teaching staff. Publishing of papers will not be the key criteria for assessment, but the ability to solve actual problems for enterprises, businesses and industries will be the main standards for staff’s appointment and promotion. Professional teachers are required to have at least six months’ practical experience in enterprises every five years.
SZTU sets up specialties and courses according to the needs of industrial chain and innovative chain. To meet the demand of pillar industry, strategic emerging industry and future industry in Shenzhen, SZTU set up six colleges in the first period: Sino-German College of Intelligent and Manufacturing, College of Big Data and Internet, College of New Materials and New Energies, College of Urban Transportation and Logistics, College of Health Science and Environmental Engineering, and School of Design and Innovation. As of June 2023, 18 colleges or schools have been established, 15 of which offer a total of 36 specialties to students, covering five disciplines including Engineering, Sciences, Liberal Arts, Management, and Arts.
SZTU will work hard to promote the cooperation between university and enterprises to a new level by the following means: conducting joint cultivation model; establishing integration centers of experiment, training and practice; employing technicians from enterprises as part-time professors. Industries and enterprises can take part in the whole process of the school management, specialty setup, curriculum setup, talent cultivation and assessment and valuation of staff members.
SZTU aims to establish itself as an international university and cooperation platform. It is looking forward to conducting extensive cooperation with universities of applied sciences in Germany, Switzerland, the United States and even all over the world. The pattern of international cooperation can be as follows:
1. To develop Two campuses pattern by student exchange program and mutual credits conformation. The two sides can develop 2+2 or 3+1+2 joint programs.
2. To introduce the whole teaching system from cooperative university. To meet the demand from the manufacturing industry in Shenzhen and Pearl River Delta of China, we would like to introduce to Shenzhen Technology University the ways of school administrative mechanism, professional settings, curriculum system and practice training from cooperative universities.
3. To establish education and training base. Both sides agree to establish vocational education training centers, providing international qualification certification and training in Shenzhen, and develop training programs for teaching and management staff.
4. To establish of collaborative innovation lab. Both sides agree to establish collaborative innovation lab, carrying out industry-oriented research programs and developing new methods in joint efforts in education between industries and universities, in order to enhance education in engineering force, creativity and academic capability and to promote the project achievement transformation.
5. To fund students to study or practice in cooperative universities or enterprises aboard; to produce top-notch talents of applied science with global outlook and international view.
The establishment of SZTU is an active exploration to address the shortage of high-level innovative applied talents, aiming to optimize the structure of higher education in Guangdong Province and Shenzhen Municipality.